HR1981 Roman Holiday

UPDATE — Last call:
Rome registration closes Monday night, May 30th

  • If you fill out the survey by then, you’ll be given a chance to commit.
  • Any names collected after that time will go onto a wait list. 

Marco Elser and John Hansen have invited the class to Rome!

September 14th evening – Sept 17th afternoon

From Marco:

John Hansen and I are organising a special “reunion” in Rome at the end of the summer. If you are interested in participating, please reach out to Joe McDonough, who is spearheading the event from the U.S. Because John and I don’t know everyone in the class, it would be great if you could forward this to your fellow classmates who may be interested in participating…

I hope to see many of you here!!

-Marco M. Elser

Have a look at Marco’s farm (on YouTube)

Please sign up for emails & indicate your interest.


Wednesday, Sept 14 evening: 
Aperitivos hosted at John Hansen’s home, outdoors.

Thursday/Friday, Sept 15 and/or 16 evenings:
Elegant dinners hosted by John and Marco at their clubs. Details to follow.

Saturday, Sept 17 afternoon:
Extravaganza at Marco’s family polo farm, outskirts of Rome, outdoors.

Evening events and the Saturday afternoon party

These events are hosted for classmates and +1s are welcomed at all events, but there will be a charge for +1s at the club dinners of approximately $100.

Daytime tours

Tours of private palazzos the Vatican are available through More information on this shortly. 

Possible day trip to Nancy Park’s home in Spoleto! (see more below)

Travel arrangements are on your own.

John has generously offered a classmate discount for his luxury hotels on

From John:

“Our hotels are all on a website

We have three properties, each at a different level- Margutta 19 is 5 star, Babuino 181 is 4 star and Mario dei Fiori 37 is a less expensive 4 star- each name is its address and all are within 5 min walk of the Spanish Steps. We will offer a Harvard Friends discount of 10% but since it’s a small business, and we have been punished by Covid, we cannot do more. September is a big tourist month in Rome so we will sell out for sure- recommend booking early.

Discount Code:   “HARVARD-20” (evento di settembre)

It should work for the 4 nights of our event at any of our hotels in Rome Luxury Suites. Just booking directly with us on our website (instead of or others) saves 10%, and then this code saves an additional 10%, total of 20%. [on refundable rate rooms without breakfast]

— John Hansen

Another way to book affordable fine apartments and tours:

You can also book through, which is owned by Marco’s wife Flaminia.  

We will try to organize insider tours:

You can see them on

Tours are led by highly qualified, hand-picked tour guides, and run about 250 Euros for 5-10 people. Will see things tourists don’t normally see.

Possible day trip to Nancy Park’s home in Spoleto!

From Nancy:

“I have a vacation home in the historic center (centro storico) of Spoleto, which is an easy direct 1 hr 10 min train ride from Roma Termini, and that I would be happy to welcome anyone who passes through before the Rome gathering for a drink, and they should contact me if they plan on being there. Her email:

Marco has close family connections to Spoleto. The piazza at the top of the town bears his mother’s surname (Campello) and his cousins still own the palazzo up there that Gian Carlo Menotti used to stay in during the heydays of the Spoleto Festival dei Due Mondi. There is also a small town named Campello sul Clittino nearby. If multiple people contact me, I may organize a proper get-together.”

— Nancy Park

Please sign up for emails & indicate your interest.